susan in Japan

susan in Japan

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Broken Pot (Part Two) "In Him was life..."




(If you haven't read my previous post"The Broken Pot (Part I)" please feel free to do so, now )

Over the past month or two, I've been thinking a lot about transparency; I've been wondering "how much is too much" when sharing with others about my heart. I have had warnings from friends and family that I share too openly - that I allow people whom aren't even close friends, to hear about some of the more difficult things I've gone through in life. And well, for a while, I really tried to be more "shallow" in my conversations.
But I've rethought that. Because the thing is, it's just not about me.
I mean, it goes without saying that I shouldn't be exposing my open wounds and asking people to pour on the salt. But, I've decided that when it comes to relating to people, and doing what matters most - to love people loudly ; actively - as to allow Christ's healing mercy to shine on them, we need to let people see our wounds. Because without wounds, there is no need for healing. And if I've had no need for healing, I've had no pain. And for each of you who has experienced life - and the pain that inevitably comes with it - you therefore would have no way of relating to me.
But because I live in this fallen world, I've had wounds. But better yet, I've had healing too - and that, is worth talking about - with anyone who's willing to listen. :)

Truth is, that life - often - isn't pretty. I recently watched a movie which told the stories of many broken women. Their lives were full of some of the most grueling, detrimental forms of pain and heartache I have ever imagined. These women went on living their lives, broken and battered, alone. 
And well, though my life hasn't been through the battles that some of you have had to witness in your own lives, just the same, I have had my share of pain. This, is just how life goes.

I've been living in a country where to show pain or discomfort or even to publicly dislike something, is not culturally "ok". I'm surrounded by smiling faces but cold stares; thankful words - yet graceless eyes. I'm living in a land where to be transparent, can actually cause offense.  


And as I look around me, and take note of the fact that Japan has the highest suicide rate on the planet, it makes me wonder.
And wish, 
and pray,
and thank God, 
that I am, in fact, a broken pot. Shining brilliantly, in this grueling darkness that we call home. 
Because not only am I broken, but I am forgiven, forgiving, and healed.  And I long, so deeply, urgently, faithfully, that you, my dear and deeply special friend, that you can shine brightly, showing off your healed heart, too. 

Because if we patch up our holes and don't give people the chance to see that we're people too, 
how can we draw them to the light?

"In Him was life. And that life was the light of men." Jn 1:4

There's a part III coming. I bet you're just stoked. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post.
    I like how "pot" is a label.
    I have been thinking about contrast between cracked and broken pot and a healed pot. Would a pot really be considered healed if it still had cracks? a broken pot would be useful to shed light, but it isn't very useful to hold things, like water.

    ReplyDelete