susan in Japan

susan in Japan

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Wow. today.

I wasn't sure if the multitude of thundering footsteps I heard were coming from my new class of kids, or the ones that just left. ..
So, today was ridiculous! This is how it went:
It all started when I was in the shower, thinking to myself "It's a good thing I only have to go next door to teach, so I have plenty of time to shower." and then, "NOO!! I TEACH AT KITASHINADA FIRST!!"...which happens to be, about a twenty minute bike ride away. So, the shower ended promptly. No, I did not condition - I barely brushed my teeth (We brush our teeth in the shower here, by the way. Though a bit strange at first, it turns out to be greatly convenient.) So, I spent about a minute getting ready, jumped on my bike, and off I went - panicked that on my first day to this far-away-church, I was going to be late. I biked and biked, and then..."This doesn't look right.." - I had only been there once before, and it was with Charis. So, it figures I got lost, right? At this point, I was ready to cry. I tried calling a few people, and couldn't get through. Figures. Finally, Simon picked up - and led me the right way. (Who knew cell phones were so convenient?..) I got there, and had a lovely couple of classes. Lunch Time! I needed to bike to the grocery store, and as I started out, it began to rain. I'd considered a few days ago, with all this biking we seem to do, "So what happens when it rains? That would be rather unfortunate if I didn't have an umbrella." Do I have an umbrella? No, no I don't. I biked back to get one - I couldn't figure out how to open it, but it had stopped raining by then - so I headed out again. Then it began to rain. Then it began to pour. Figures.
By the time I got inside the grocery store, I looked like I had just gotten into a pool to do a couple of leisurely laps, fully clothed. Awesome. I learned something new today: It can really rain here. Note to self: Invest in an umbrella.
Got back to Kitashinada, ate lunch, then biked up a gigantic hill to a kindergarten class. Was fun. Then, on my way home... "This doesn't look right." - Called Charis - found the right place, and a little while later... "This doesn't look right...Why am I at City Hall??" Called Charis again. Seems someone should have given me a little heads up, that the first day I get lost, it will happen THREE TIMES.
Finally made it home. Went to the post office, then back home, taught two more children's classes, (They were the ones I thought I had this morning.) ate supper, went to Appla, bought a new plant and my very own set of chop sticks.
That, my friends, was my day.
... :) ...



Emerging from the bamboo forest. ..This is down the road from my house. It's full of garbage and random stuff. I wanted to venture further, and as I began, a mouse or something that felt like a mouse, ran over my foot and I jumped onto a bamboo pole and hung on for dear life... Seems this venture requires proper footwear. Or a more courageous person.
These are in a random order, but we had a "family dinner" the other night with the ladies in the dorm and Charis..who is an honorary dorm member. lol. Korean, and Philippino-Chinese food. Awesome.
Very overgrown park down the road.
more dinner stuff. And my first plant I got! I'm going through a plant phase. Note to mom: When you come, bring an EPI pen..haha..





Giant cricket-thing Veronica killed in our dorm. His hind legs are still lying on the floor downstairs..



No comments:

Post a Comment